Sunday, October 28, 2007

School Conferences

Thursday was the day to meet with the kids Teachers for school conferences. I was very anxious and hesitant about what Tucker's teacher might say about him. These conferences were for the Christian School.

I have not felt assured that all was going well with him in the class because when I drop him off and pick him up I don't a lot of feedback as to how he is doing. And, the past few days at school he has decided to start hitting one boy in particular. No one else, just this one boy. Which is odd for Tucker, so I am thinking that maybe this boy is bugging him. Anyway, so off I went to conferences with anxiety.

My kids are wonderful, are adjusting well, are so smart, and are loving, respectful, and happy kids. This is what I was told about all three of the kids. I was overwhelmed with joy and am so proud of these three.

Hunter's grades are all in the high 90%. His strongest subject is Reading and second is Math. Lucky kid - glad he didn't get his math skills from his Mom. His teacher just raved about how well he is doing adjusting to the new school, new work, and his ability to make friends. She said she just loves having him in the class.

Samantha is right at or above where she should be for her age academically as well. Mrs. K. says she is adjusting nicely and is a very sweet girl. She is also very helpful with Tucker and watches out for him. Mrs. K said she does talk about "Home" - Bellingham all the time and likes to share with her class "How things are done in Bellingham". I can totally hear her telling them all. Her teacher shared a great story about Show and Tell and how Samantha cares for Tucker. The first time they had show and tell, it was Tucker's turn to share what he had brought (which was a fish stuffed animal - representing the letter "f". When Tucker was seated in the Show and Tell chair, she quickly knealt beside him and was whispering in his ear what he was supposed to say - and he said what ever she told him. I thought this was so sweet. So the next week when it was his turn, Samantha did the same thing, only this time Mrs. K asked Sam to see if Tucker could do it all by himself, and she let him, and he did - just great!! So cute. I love that she is protective over him and watches out for him already!

Tucker's report was just as wonderful - he is doing great in the class with typical children, he is doing all the things the other kids are doing - following directions, eats lunch as a group, participates in all class activities, does show and tell, plays outside for recess, etc. Mrs. K did not evaluate him academically, as she felt it was unfair to him because he is not in the class in the afternoon and this is when she studys the kids and evaluates them. She did say she would make time in the next couple of weeks to concentrate on where he is based on the report card progress for the other kids. I am excited to see the outcome. She said the other kids in the class love Tucker and they all have this natural ability to assist him or help him when they notice he needs it. Nothing has ever been said to the kids that Tucker might need additional assistance. I just love how these kids instinctively just get it. What a great beginning for them on diversity and advocacy.

So, in all, as I mentioned, I left the school feeling so proud of them all and feeling so good about our move to Idaho. Often, I find myself really lonely, asking myself if this was the right thing to do (especially when the afterschool meltdowns come, or Samantha cries for her friends R and T and wishes we had never left Bellingham, or when I just need my support group of friends or family), but moments like this make you realize all is Great, and God has blessed our family abundantly. Sorry for the long post, but I wanted all to know how great the conferences went. We love you all and miss you all much!!

1 comment:

Dylan and Family said...

Wow. Congratulations everyone. I'm glad that everyone seems to be adjusting well and loved the story of Samantha being Tucker's little helper. I'm really impressed with Hunter's grades. Wow again.

Kristy